What to Wear While You Work Out
for fitness, head to toe
With all the choices, including brand, material and style it would seem that choosing workout wear is a daunting task. But it doesn’t have to be. If you know what to look for in each key piece of apparel you’ll be able to find what you need and avoid unnecessary items or expenses.
- Socks - When you’re feet sweat and start to swell up it can cause a lot of discomfort. Athletic socks made specifically for fitness have added features to make them foot-friendly, including heel and ball padding, breathable mesh and wicking materials - all of which work together to keep feet dry and blister-free.
- Footwear - Sure you can buy a pair of $20 sneakers to wear during workouts, but chances are you won’t consider the shoes a bargain for very long. If you buy athletic shoes based on price and the fit isn’t right, they lack necessary support or wear out quickly, you’re just causing yourself unnecessary grief.
- Underwear - You might not think this piece of workout wear matters but it can be one of the most important. Synthetic fabrics are best avoided - experts recommend cotton or microfiber for the best comfort and breathability. Boy-briefs can be a good choice because they don’t ride up or leave tell-tale underwear lines. Thongs are a choice not all women agree with, but if you find a high-quality pair in the right material you may find you don’t even know they’re there.
- Bra - How many of us don’t know the feeling of getting into a cardio routine before realizing we’ve forgotten to change into a supportive bra. Even women with just a B-cup on top can attest to the fact that it’s not pleasant. If you’re planning on working up a sweat with an activity that requires a lot of up and down movements (like a step aerobics class) a sports bra that will hold your ladies in place without suffocating them is a must.
- Top - This is one part of your outfit where you’ll want to consider style as well as function. Of course you want to choose a workout top in a breathable, sweat wicking and comfortable material, but also one that you feel attractive in.
- Workout bottoms - You’ll have to choose between shorts, capris and pants when buying workout bottoms. But beyond that will be considerations such as material, fit and style. With the number of different yoga pants on the market these days, it shouldn’t be too hard of a task.